Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
cri33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104111
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SES

FF Reputation: 1 cri33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Power Doorlock problems

I got the whole assembly loose, breaking a black part in the process. Cheap plastic. I also managed to tear a little weatherstripping but I guess that can be mended. Removing the door handle loosens everything up.

But the rod hangs everything up and I don't see any way to remove it while it is in there although I guess it is possible to bend the rod at the top so it can be unhooked from the level mechanism. Maybe that is what I have to do but I need a pair of small vice grips to do it. If it will bend flat to an L I can hook it and probably pull the latch assembly out. But if it breaks then I have to buy a rod too. I also could not figure out how to disconnect the cable from the inside latch. It seems too tight to just undo. I could see how to do it but could not get enough slack in the cable to remove it.

I may just take it in to the garage and let them do it. I think my mechanical ability is pretty fair and I may eventually fix it but how much damage do I do in the meantime. Knowing when to stop and say enough is part of being smart although I never claimed to be bright. It also doesn't help to be working in sort of dark conditions where you have to use a flashlight to look inside. Guess its time to say Uncle.