Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Retrofit AGS (Kysor Active Grille Radiator Shutters)
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
Scott02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108080
What I Drive: 2012 Ox White SEL DCT 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Scott02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Why are you so hell bent on installing them? Strictly for increased fuel efficiency? At most you'll get 1 mpg extra out of them which might save you $30 per year. The payback period will be very looooooooong......
Fuel economy, shorter warm up time, and to be sure that the engine is running in closed loop temp control when I'm driving in ~0degF temps (running in open loop temp control is a problem with the super-efficient, non-heat-generating, VW TDI engines).
I'm a LONG time VW TDI guy, so I'm used to 45mpg city/mixed/highway/traffic/whatever. The last daily driver gasser car I owned was 8 cars ago, so I'm interested to seeing what this platform has to offer in terms of good MPG.

If I always average 33mpg per tank, then I'm even or ahead of the game with the diesel/gasoline cost differential where I live. The problem is, right now I'm averaging closer to 30mpg per tank.
So, I'd like to do what i can (semi-irrelevant of payback period) to see what I can get my average up to.