Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - That power door lock actuator looks to be a PAIN to replace.
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
cpalz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105682
What I Drive: 2002 Zx5 Focus, 2005 Zx4 Focus

FF Reputation: 1 cpalz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doneworking View Post
New to this site. I joined just to share this. My friend has a 05 where one door lock inop and cannot be locked manually. Removed latch assy and separated actuator from it. The shaft of motor above the worm gear had broken the plastic housing enough to jam. Checked the dealer etc. for actuator replacement....only entire assembly at $200. This little motor has some torque to it, and the shaft lifts up and away from driven gear, jamming it. Here's how I fixed it... at the end of the shaft where it sits in the housing you'll notice the breakage. Notice on actuator cover it has a little plastic tit that holds the shaft down into housing. Notice a slot in the housing, just past the end of motor shaft..... I used a picture hanger that width and cut it and bent it into a "J" and twisted it toward the worn area. Took a little finessing (I did it twice to get it right) to get pre load right. Took all of two hours... that's $100 hour. I'm a Retired Mechanic...If it works great, I can fix that too.

Excellent Idea, mine is broken the exact same way.