Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Anyone tried E85 yet?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #32
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanace View Post
enginejoe... I am really tired of reading your lust for ethonol. Read this. It is old... but accurate. I really think your a corn farmer in disguise.
http://zfacts.com/p/436.html
1turbofocus is too profesional to say it so I will.... ethonol is a pink elephant. You get less energy per gallon, cost is high... and you need to modify existing platforms to make it work. Geez get a clue! It isn't even close to being worth the cost involved. Plus it uses up our FOOD source for crying out loud. AND it produces more smog.
I'm tired of reading about how everyone and their mother hates E85 on this site. Damn near every other automotive platform enthusiast group has seen the benefits of E85 as a race fuel and adopted ways to use it. But the focus community seems to he behind the times on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
Society of automotive engineers? My kind of people.

Here's a powerpoint presentation of the paper (nice pictures and bullet with main points without being too technical). This is good stuff.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...TIHGjoUNVgIU8A

I decided to add clifFor Sale:

They added port fuel injected gas to a DI high compression motor (one example was the v6 ecoboost with higher compression) to try and get better use of the E85 by only using it in a direct injection way to suppress knock (keep temps lower).

So...basically for idle and cruise you use mainly gas, and when cylinder pressures rise (you have your foot in it), you use the E85. This way you get good economy and lower emissions. Sounds kinda complicated though with two fuel systems.

Interesting tidbits are the quoted octane numbers for ethanol and the fact that they are getting closer to a possibility of a high compression FI motor that would have similar fuel economy to a lower compression regular gas only motor.
Now that's what I want to read. I've been running E in mine for a few weeks, and it seems to love it. Factory ECM made some slight tweaks to timing and AFRs and it seems to pull just a Tad bit harder. Its no ST but I feel the car still takes advantage of it.