Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusblackzx5 View Post
Those actuators are very fragile... just replaced the ones in my RR door and RL door on my 2005. They all failed this year. On my 2003, two of them broke... 285$ a piece, it's not something cheap.

Your best option, remove the door panel and all the parts to reach the actuator and go to a Ford dealer. Will take 30 min and will be donne for 40-60$ of time. *+new piece*

It sucks but, I don't want to put a used one that will fail the year after.

-Anthony
I wonder what was changed in '06/'07 compared to '05 because the latching mechanism part#'s are not the same. The number of part# changes to these latches is staggering. My experience with Ford tells me that running changes were made for some reason & they could be major (to correct a weakness) or minor (different mfr with minor revision, design change to reduce cost etc). The inner and outer door handles and cables look identical, so parts may still interchange. This change could be limited to the power latch mechanisms or built-in anti-theft/alarm circuitry. I have not checked into the standard manual unit part #'s so they may or may not be the same.

I can understand not choosing used if you're paying for dealer labor. However if you figure out how to do the job yourself watching youtube, the difference between a used one for $40 vs new for $280 would encourage me to take a chance. I can buy 7 used one's for that price. It'd be nice if you know the mileage on the used donor car. It also sounds like the latch mechanisms can be disassembled and rebuilt if you have some skill & time to kill. More than likely, cleaning and greasing would greatly help lifespan. Door locks on your house aren't much different. Once the lube vanishes it tends to bend, jamb, wear and destroy itself. I'm betting that cars parked outside instead of inside a garage see more latch issues due to freezing, dirt and water. The 2007 latch mechanisms I bought off ebay looked 20 years old, covered with dirt and rust. It was an outside car lol.

I wouldn't want a used latch from a car with 200K mi lol.