Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Considering My Next Car
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #53
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

Points 2,234, Level 28
Points: 2,234, Level: 28 Points: 2,234, Level: 28 Points: 2,234, Level: 28
Level Up 56% Completed
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzboy View Post
Start/Stop tech is awesome.
I've had it on my rental BMWs while in Belgium, and it does help with saving fuel while city driving (even with the manual transmission). Honestly, it is seamless. You will not notice it interfering with your driving habits at all. It is also safe, in the sense that the engine starts up right away as soon as your right foot eases off the brake or the left foot engages the clutch. I'm disappointed it hasn't trickled down to NA yet.
The reason we don't see more start/stop tech in the US is the EPA (go figure..). Basically, the feature doesn't help EPA MPG ratings, which consumers rely far too heavily on to compare efficiency between cars. Without it being a selling point, manufacturers choose not to implement it.

Quote:
The problem is that the EPA's current testing methods don't accurately assess the real-world fuel-saving benefits of stop-start technology, which shuts the engine off when the vehicle is stopped. The EPA only has limited idle time built into their fuel use tests, which means that most models equipped with start-stop get absolutely no bump in their official fuel economy ratings. Without any sort of official support, automakers see no boost in CAFE numbers for their start-stop vehicles.
Source: http://green.autoblog.com/2011/05/09...e-mpg-problem/

Personally, I would love to see more cars with start/stop.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 80k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune