Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - That power door lock actuator looks to be a PAIN to replace.
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,192, Level 18
Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18 Points: 1,192, Level: 18
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cri33 View Post
FEELS to me like I have to remove the rod that runs from the exterior door handle to the actuator/control unit. That seems to be one piece. And I am not sure how to do that short of dismantling the (exterior) door handle and mechanism. It is also very cramped in there and you risk losing little screws if you are not very careful.

No wonder they want $100 labor! The mechanic also "warned me" that there were several different types of actuators used for this car and he had to go by the VIN to get the correct unit, so beware of slightly "used" units that you cannot verify by VIN or by looking at it. I see a couple on ebay but now I am leary because I cannot pull the old unit out of the car. Yet.

This is the kind of job that might make it worthwhile to buy a Ford shop manual, but those are around $135. Not cheap but if it makes the job a lot easier then maybe its worth it.
Youtube has 2 or 3 videos showing the focus door latch R&R job which I used to aid in power lock upgrade. Per video procedure and Helms manual, the outer door handle gets removed before the latch can be removed. The Ford Factory Helms Shop Manual with factory wiring diagram book go for about $40 as a set on ebay, slightly used. I bought the manuals for a 2004 and a 2007 and didn't pay more than that in either case. This beats $135 new manual or $100 labor fee.