Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - frustration over power steering fluid
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
Thought that the numbering is just the "version". Most systems if it calls for a previous Mercon the V (5) will work. Its backwards comparable. I think the Mercon V is the only type you can get now days anyway.

Is their any thoughts on running something like Royal Purple MAX ATF or similar full synthetic "performance" ATF fluid in the rack?
Nope, Mercon ATF is the transmission fluid labelled "ATF" or type F. It is exactly the same fluid as generic power steering fluid except that it has red dye in it, and used to be less expensive than generic PS fluid. I've been telling people who ask on this forum for years that you're better off using ATF than Mercon3 or 5. It might be backwards compatible in transmissions (IDK really), but it is not for PS pumps. What happens is that you develop that Ford PS groan. How'd I figure that out? A couple of lifetime warranty PS pumps, and a couple of gallons of Mercon3 until someone finally told me that was the wrong fluid to use. They were right.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.