Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - That power door lock actuator looks to be a PAIN to replace.
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
cri33
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104111
What I Drive: 2007 Ford Focus ZX4 SES

Points 279, Level 5
Points: 279, Level: 5 Points: 279, Level: 5 Points: 279, Level: 5
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cri33 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Door actuator problems

FEELS to me like I have to remove the rod that runs from the exterior door handle to the actuator/control unit. That seems to be one piece. And I am not sure how to do that short of dismantling the (exterior) door handle and mechanism. It is also very cramped in there and you risk losing little screws if you are not very careful.

No wonder they want $100 labor! The mechanic also "warned me" that there were several different types of actuators used for this car and he had to go by the VIN to get the correct unit, so beware of slightly "used" units that you cannot verify by VIN or by looking at it. I see a couple on ebay but now I am leary because I cannot pull the old unit out of the car. Yet.

This is the kind of job that might make it worthwhile to buy a Ford shop manual, but those are around $135. Not cheap but if it makes the job a lot easier then maybe its worth it.