Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Oil Change instructions for Men & Women
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So much yes...reminds me of the oil change I did on my Fusion.

It has one of those silly cartridge filters inside a reusable plastic housing. My dad's always been able to unscrew them by hand or with a strap wrench. The Fusion had obviously been done by Jiffy Lube so it was tighter than... :insert off-color remark here:

So we went to NAPA and got the correct tool to remove the cartridge. Looks like this:

Took it home, ready to do it. Attached the tool to a socket, on the cartridge, ANNNND it just spins. Fuuuu... Figured the cartridge is stripped out thanks to Jiffy lube so the tool won't grab the ridges. Ordered a new cartridge, which incidentally is the same one that the Ford GT uses......$30 or something stupid. Waited for it to arrive. It came in, went to finish the job. BRILLIANT IDEA. Get a large hose clamp/ worm gear, tighten it around the filter housing hella-tight, and push on the screw/ tightener until it turns. OK. My idea works perfectly and we get the old one off. It looks exactly like the new one. Put new filter and the new housing on and the special tool STILL spins...WTF. So I tighten the cartridge hand tight and all is well. Bought a new housing for no reason...

2 week oil change, about $100 in oil/ parts. lol