Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 15,000 Hurricane Sandy cars up for auction.
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #25
Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsolo View Post
The insurance companies own the vehicles, that's what they do when a car is "totaled", they buy it off you.

So you want the insurance companies to eat a huge loss by not recovering scrap value for the property they own.

That is your call for government involvement, making the government force the insurance companies to crush their junk cars.

You want dramatics, how about a poorly thought out appeal for more laws and regulations to protect stupid people from their own stupidity.

P.S.: I don't buy salvage vehicles. If you don't know what you are looking at when buying used equipment, go lease a new Kia. Call you insurance agent and tell him you are going to buy a salvage vehicle, see if you will be saving any money, you won't.
My son bought a salvage titled vehicle a few months ago and the insurance company (USAA) was FINE with it and his rates were very reasonable. He knew the seller though, who owns a shop specializing in Subarus and the car was an Imprezza repaired by the shop and the car has been fine. I think if the sellers want to sell the vehicles after being submerged they should be required to be disassembled to parts and any electrical parts should be required to be smashed and recycled.

We've been through this situation after every major hurricane and salt water flooded cars HAVE BEEN SOLD later to unsuspecting buyers, often in different states where the "flooded" status of the car may not be apparent with a title from that different state. In cases like this the government (aka "We the People") is not an enemy and can help protect citizens from unscrupulous sellers of flooded cars.