Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 15,000 Hurricane Sandy cars up for auction.
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #21
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEnvy View Post
This was what you said... think about how anyone else would read it.
Originally Posted by elsolo
So you want the government to pay the current owners of the vehicles, or should they be forced to lose their investment?

Should this be done only for big floods, or anytime insurance totals out a vehicle?

What other personal property rights do you favor eliminating?

you make it sound like the owners are going to lose everything on their vehicle if the govt doesn't step in and do something.

And then you turn around and say the same thing I did... scrap. you just put it as scrap value. I said turn itno metal shards... a scrap yard would do that now wouldn't they, or does your neighbor happen to have a shredder in his back yard? (even if he did he sell it for scrap).
Maybe I have lost the ability to clearly explain simple things.

The insurance companies OWN those junk cars.
They can sell them at auction as "parts cars" or whatever you want to call recovering maximum scrap value from their investment. That does not imply that they need to sell them as scrap steel shreds.

The owners (insurance companies) would lose their investment if the government did step in and make some dumb law about flood damaged vehicles not being able to be auctioned off as salvage vehicles.

I don't know how this is confusing to you.