Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ran out of gas added gas and won't start
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Eh, hard to tell. Maybe you didn't run out of gas at all. If you hear the fuel pump priming, then the fuel-cutoff switch is ok. Whip out your owner's manual, and check your EFI fuse. Perhaps it is blown. Other than that, you're going to have to take a step back, forget you ran out of fuel, and diagnose the problem as if you'd never known about running out of fuel.

That being said- does the exhaust smell like fuel after you've been cranking the engine? If not, then we're back to checking to see if the injectors are working.

If the exhaust does smell like fuel, then you're getting fuel. The next thing to check would be the coil for damage to the coil plug-in connector (pull on wires individually), resistance test on the primary output, and ignition fuses. If you determine that you have no problem with the coil, or you've checked for spark output by using a spark plug tester- then move on to testing for compression. BTW, I do not recommend testing spark plugs by resting them against the block and having someone crank the engine. There are inexpensive tools that you can purchase or rent which will test if there is spark in a plug wire. If you're going to rent a tool, just rent a timing light, hook it up under the hood and hold the trigger down.

If you have spark and fuel, then you don't have compression or it would be running. Remove the timing belt inspection cover, and see if the timing belt is broken. This wouldn't be the first time an "evil coincidence" like this happened.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.