Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Ford dealt class-action lawsuit over C-Max, Fusion hybrid mileage claims
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #13
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Points 2,489, Level 30
Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
My understanding is the EPA doesn't do the testing and approve the window sticker numbers, they set testing procedures and generally trust the manufacturers to adhere to the guidelines. They basically audited Hyundai over their recent claims and found them innacurate, and Hyundai admitted they screwed up their testing procedure, which miraculously improved their numbers.

The only recent car I remember consistently beating advertised estimates is the Jetta TDI, if I remember correctly it's rated at around 43 MPG highway and journalists routinely see significantly better mileage, nearer 50 MPG.

All that said, I will shoot myself in the foot if you can prove to me you got 47 MPG in a Fusion hybrid. Short of extreme hyper miling techniques, that number has always sounded like utter bullshit to me and I'm not a bit surprised Ford is taking heat over this, and I really expect these advertised numbers to be revised shortly.

Do you guys really think Ford has the ability to produce a cheap midsize sedan that can get near that mileage claim?