Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Trying to locate parasitic drain
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,342, Level 20
Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
that's normal for the radio - try it again and you'll notice that it displays "1 Hour" when you turn it on with the key off.

A test light is okay for basic live/dead tests, but if you can get your hands on a digital multimeter, that will tell us more. If you search the forum archives, you'll find some typical amp readings that other users have observed on their Focii.

Whether you're using a test light or ammeter, note that the vehicle electronics will reboot and enter a state of high activity for several minutes after they are re-energized. Therefore, ignore the initial tester behavior, and then make your observations after the electronics have settled into their steady-state operation, in the sub-amp range. If you're seeing greater than an amp, then systematically pull fuses in both boxes. Don't turn on any high-load accessories or you'll probably blow the fuse on your multimeter.