Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Trying to locate parasitic drain
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Covmister
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89659
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Covmister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i cant really comment on the radio being on when the keys are out but a good way to test the parasitic drain is to use a dmm set to amps dc, take off the neg battery cable and attach the red lead to the bat neg and the black lead to the neg cable. ideally you should see about 50 ma or less, i do know that our fords do draw a bit more because the PATS system takes a bit longer to tell all the systems to "sleep" try keeping all doors open but trick the car into thinking they are shut by closing the strikers, then wait for the amp draw to be around 50 ma or wait 45 min or so then watch the dmm and start flipping switches....defrost...headlight....radio....glovebox open close...ect. this will help locate the draw easier because the car still thinks its asleep as long as you keep the keys out of the ignition...when you find the cause of the draw you will notice the draw drops....case in point glove box light is on...take bulb out draw lowers....radio does the same...its a pita to find parasitic draw but it can be done. good luck i am not electric god but i do know a thing or two about a thing or two