Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Considering My Next Car
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #39
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
I don't think the Verano has anything at all to do with Holden. The Verano chassis is Cruze-based, which did have some engineering work done by GM Korea. Holden is the source of large rear-drive GM chassis, which Buick does not use. Holden is pretty small and isn't capable of keeping GM's head above water.
Yes, the Holden connection is tenuous at best, the Verano in particular as well as the Regal are based on Opel derived platforms, with Daewoo doing the heavy lifting on most of the development of the Cruze/Astra platform and Opel doing the bulk of the work on the Insignia which is the car the Regal is directly built off of and is a straight re-badging for the most part.

The Cruze/Astra/Verano are a bit more like fraternal triplets than direct copies however.

Holden was responsible for the overweight Zeta platform which is used in the Caprice PPV and the Camaro, that's it, no where else currently in North America.

There is supposed to be a civilian version of the Caprice coming back as an "SS" as the basis of GM's next Nascar effort, but that's basically just a lwb pontiac g8 which didn't sell all that well here in the first place.

The LSx motors were developed here based on the original GM small block, not down in Australia even if the Australians love to put them in the Commodore/Statesman/ Ute/ etc.