Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Considering My Next Car
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #34
Bwill9886
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93444
What I Drive: 2013 Rallye Red Civic Si

FF Reputation: 2 Bwill9886 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Lots of different options on that list. I've also been considering my options as I'm thinking about getting out of the Focus within a year. Really it will depend on if I find the right car, as I don't in any way need to get rid of the Focus.

I've narrowed it down to 2012 GTI's and 2011-2012 WRX's. Both offer great potential, but of course both have some downsides.

My concerns with the WRX is actually a positive once you own it: resale value. THEY ARE RIDICULOUS. A 19,000 mile 2011 base WRX goes for near new sticker! It actually makes sense to buy new (which another member looking at STI's noted in another thread). That and the mileage is "meh" and that 5 speed... Interiors suck too, but that's not what I'd be buying it for.

The GTI, besides higher maintenance costs and the potential for electric gremlins (which is totally hit or miss, as I've known plenty of VW's to be perfectly reliable when taken care of), I don't have many complaints about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRose View Post
Not totally sure about the winters yet...only been here a few years. The first winter was a blizzard every week. The next winter we got almost no snow. So it's hit and miss, I guess. You can tell I'm nervous about a RWD car though...mostly don't want to get caught out in the snow and be "that guy" who can't pull away from a stop sign. Truth be told I've got a 1998 Nissan Frontier 4X4 as my non-commuter car, which I drive on the weekends and when I think the roads will be slick. So I probably make too much out of the RWD vs FWD, as long as my truck keeps working for me.
Yeah, we've had pretty mild winters here lately. We definitely have the potential though to put down some snow though, as you seem to have experienced. Therefore if you go RWD, you'll want to invest in snow tires.

That's something I'd have to get if I got a GTI as well considering the rubber they come with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRose View Post
I actually commented to the Ford salesman last time I was in for an oil change that it's hard to believe the new Fusion was only $22,000 (the one on their lot anyway). Seems like a lot of car for that price. It just seems a bit too much like a family car for my needs at the moment.
I really love the new Fusions... but the recalls on the 1.6T and the soon to plummet resale value are pushing me away from Ford (though that does make it a good pick-up on the used market). I will be keeping my eyes on them though. If the deal was right, I don't think I could say no to a 1.6T 6 speed manual with nice options!

Last edited by Bwill9886; 12-28-2012 at 05:55 PM.