Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - 2005 ZX3 w/Hard Start Problem
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #19
fsu67
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 107780
What I Drive: 2002 zx5

FF Reputation: 1 fsu67 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephd View Post
I am going to revive a very old thread. My 07 with the 5-speed does the same thing. At least with the OP his is clockwork, mine is not.
I was told, the fuel pump is not priming properly. I was also told to turn the key and wait 5 seconds, turn it off, repeat and it should work.
First, IMHO and I am not a mechanic that theory is false it does not work. Secondly, If the fuel pump is not priming properly than it should always happen during cold weather starts.
For example, and I paid close attention today. My Focus was parked on Friday at 3PM. It sat until Sunday at 7:30AM.
When I turned the key, without this priming theory.She fired up without so much as a hiccup. Now where is the fuel after sitting idle for almost 48 hours? Certainly not in the fuel pump, yet she started right up.
So, I drive 1 mile up the road. The car is fully warmed up, I shut it off, for about 10 minutes.
She again starts right up. So, my next destination is 10 miles away. When I get there, the car is literally off for less than 30 seconds.
What happens, the long crank before she starts. Now the fuel pump has long been primed, so again IMHO the long cranks should not occur.
That tells me there is something going on with the computer in some of the earlier Focus's.
If the fuel pump was a certainty, I would spend the 500 plus and replace it. Only because I am OCD when it comes to my cars. From looking at this thread, I can see the problem remains a mystery.
Check your power hold relay its in the fuse box in engine compartment next to the air filter, Have someone crank the engine over and over and tap the relay or just hit the fuse box and it should crank over! relay cost about $13 at parts store, I've repaired lots of focus with the same problem also goes with every other electrical problem the focus has just slap the fuse box! Ford relays stink!