Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - This is the worst car ive ever driven in snow
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #21
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

Points 7,620, Level 58
Points: 7,620, Level: 58 Points: 7,620, Level: 58 Points: 7,620, Level: 58
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Focus View Post
Ahh, no. I do know how to drive in the snow . After all this is Canada. I had a sunfire on all seasons that was pretty much unstoppable. It is the DCT. 16" snow tires. Im running a used set of tires but they have at least 1/2 the tread life left. Maybe the rubber has gotten a bit hard over the years. Im no white knuckle driver, and snow does not phase me, but it drove like i was on the summer tires. Tread blocks were clean when i stopped so they are throwing snow. If most of you are having no trouble, then its the tires for sure. I just got this car. I had to get rims and tpms sensors, as well as the weathertech floor mats. Well, didnt have to, get those particular mats, but ive ruined enough carpets over the years. I wanted to keep cost down so I was hoping to get two seasons out of the tires. Guess thats not going to happen.
Half of the snow tread life or half of the tread left? Some people dont realize that most snow tires are done once they get to 6/32 and most have wear indicators built in to show you. Once past that and they lose their edge in cutting through and gripping on snow/ice.

http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colint...inter-traction
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/...sp?techid=116&

I'd love to be able to say that its probably just you as a driver but you're from Canada and probably arent a stranger to driving in snow. So check out your tires, see if you can see the indicators and if your tires are just worn. My snow tires have plenty of tread on them but are super close to the wear indicators and arent as helpful as they were in previous seasons... As always just take your time and be safe!