Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - My '12 SE Picture/Project Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #520
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
 
Twenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 90312
Location: Calgary, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Posts: 4,323
Points 21,629, Level 92
Points: 21,629, Level: 92 Points: 21,629, Level: 92 Points: 21,629, Level: 92
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Alcantara shift boot installed:

Yesterday I started on the process of installing the new shift boot. Overall it was fairly straight-forward, and I am very happy with the finished product.

It started by once again removing the stock boot and silver trim from the car and separating the two.



The OEM boot is held in with glue around the plastic base. I used a hobby knife to carefully cut them apart, trying to keep the original leather boot more or less intact. It came out just fine with the only cut sections being the small square contact points where it was glued.




Alignment of the new boot was critical. With the obvious silver stitching, I did my best to ensure it'd line up like stock so that the stitching would be in each of the four corners of the silver trim. It would be clear if it wasn't aligned properly.

It took some delicate repositioning but I got it as close as I could. The new boot wasn't exactly the same dimensions as the stock one, but I was able to position the four coners fairly well around the plastic base.

Looking at the plastic base, you'll want the stitching to line up, centered, within the indented section at each corner.



Some binder clips were used to hold the boot as I adjusted its fitment, continually placing the silver trim back on top to double check.



When I was happy I then used a high-strength modeling adhesive and worked my way around the boot, applying it to one section at a time while leaving the rest clamped to avoid the boot becoming misaligned. When I was done I let it cure overnight.



Today I removed the clips, did some minor trimming of the boot to clear some of the tabs on the backside of the silver trim, and reassembled it (Bad picture, I apologize. It was the only one I had).



I then went into the garage and tested it. I found that the new boot was actually tall enough to sit against my shift knob while maintaining enough slack to go through all of the gears. This was not the case with the OEM leather piece.

However, I felt I wanted it tied down a bit lower as the original had been. I fastened a ziptie around the end and set it to the height I wanted. With the trim clipped back in place and the shift knob reattached, it was in and I'm happy.



As I had mentioned I had to take a bit of a gamble in specifying the stitching's colour, as I only had an online photo to work from. It worked out and I was able to get a very good match for the seats.



SUMMARY

Quality: Very good. Beautiful material, even stitching.
Fitment: Snug but good. Almost sized exactly like the original.
Installation: Needs patience but is straight-forward. If you have that and some basic hobby supplies you're set.
Overall: Very happy. This is something I've wanted for a long time and RedlineGoods came to the rescue.

__________________
officialTHREETWENTY
2012 YB Focus SE Sedan [featured in Performance Ford, Sept '14]
1992 BW Grand Prix SE Sedan [restomod project]
SR#74/SMk3C#17/YBOC#03
Bill M.
Twenty is offline  
    Reply With Quote