swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 12 swansong Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonpalm View Post
I have also had a chance to drive the new ST. In many ways, it's very different from the gen1 MS3. It's quieter, softer, and generally more pleasant, with equal power. If you liked it, you will be surprised by a gen1 MS3 because it will be harsh, loud, and more raw. On the plus side, it is a little faster than the gen2 MS3 because of more available torque in gears 1-3 (gen2 has nannies that limit torque to please the torque steer complainers). You will save money because the MS3 is cheaper, but keep in mind it requires premium gas and the MPG is in the teens and low twenties. Also, a gen1 will have a high probability of being modified by the previous owner. Drive one and decide on your own!
The more subdued personality of the ST really surprised me, since I was so used to my SVT. I think the MS3 would be more familiar to the SVT in feel, for better or worse. I don't really mind the harshness of the SVT, but I certainly would appreciate the quietness of the ST in daily driving and highway trips. I'd be using premium fuel no matter which car I have, but surely the ST does a bit better on gas than the MS3, and FWIW I average about 29 in the SVT. I actually have this particular MS3 in mind at the moment, and although it was modified by the previous owner, it was returned to stock upon trade-in, and was well cared for, from what I gather. I really should go drive it one of these days. Also, any car I get will not remain stock. Knowing me, I won't jump on the opportunity anyway, and will just keep the SVT, and wonder what could have been lol.

Anyway, threadjack over, and I agree that the new Fusion could be an option, although it is disappointing that the 6MT is only available in lower trim levels, and I believe it sticks you with the 1.6t.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 78k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune