Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Thermostat housing leak
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM   #43
chadr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96198
What I Drive: 2003 Silver ZTW

Points 13, Level 1
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 chadr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadr View Post
In March of this year I replaced the housing and found it leaking again today. I don't see any oil leaking from the valve cover gasket area (but I don't suspect leaking oil from above would damage the housing or seal anyway).

I bought the Dorman 902-201 Water Outlet Housing Kit from Amazon for $35 shipped. I also used Permatex Right Stuff in addition to the gaskets in housing. 9 months and its leaking already. I've never had any leak from anything I've sealed with Permatex Right Stuff.

Maybe I'll go with the o ring (VICTOR REINZ Part #C31611) suggested above and keep the same housing if it appears ok.
I think I'll have to take the blame for this one... I took off the housing and found the permatex sealer was leaking. I didn't use the o ring when I did this job the first time. I don't think I filled the slot completely which led to the leak.

I used the o-ring this time. I filled the o ring gap with sealer completely, then pushed the o ring into place. Spread a little sealer on the surface of the head just to be safe and bolted it back into place.