Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Turn off traction control for as long as you want?
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
MetalMuffins
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107135
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 MetalMuffins Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMuffins View Post
I was looking at another thread on this same issue. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=275688&page=6

Someone on there had a great idea of wiring a switch with an inline 5A fuse into the F19 under the hood. I was in the garage late last night looking at this, and it seems fairly easy to do. All you would need is a single pair of wires running into the cabin with an inline fuse holder and a simple on / off switch.

This way, you could easily disconnect the circuit while in the car, and turn it back on again without issue. And because you are not splicing into the system, only plugging an extension into the fuse box, it would be easy to remove and revert to stock with no one the wiser.
So just to give you guys an update, I just went for a drive and went to a snow dusted abandoned parking lot to test this.j
After pulling the fuse, I got 3 warning lights, which I expected. (tcs, abs, and brake warning lights). I was supprised however, that nothing came up on the dash display saying anything was amiss. I even ran the system check, and it reported all systems normal.

Once I started driving, It was easy to tell what was disabled. The TCS, ABS, ESC, as well as the touque vectoring and brake bias control. All of this was expected, and it drove well aside from the brake bias on hard braking.
This is my only caution as the rear will lock up first, I assume due to the wight ballence of the car.
For this reason, I would reccomend not leaving this off for most driving, as the system does a great job when you are not trying to push the car to it's limits.
I do however, still want to wire in an override for the system, so this can be disabled easily if need be.