Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Replace master cylinder clutch
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #122
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I just replaced my CMC yesterday on a 2003 SVTF using Notorious0ne's pictures and guide in the first post. It would have taken me forever if not for the well-written descriptions and photos of each step.

I only really got hung up on 3 things.

The first was getting the clip off the bottom hydraulic (steel) line. I had a hook and pick set (sort of like >this one<) to use to pop the clips out. The top clip was no problem, took maybe 20 seconds to get the pick angled right. The lower one took at least to 40 minutes. I ended up having to take needle nose pliers and bend the tip of one of the picks to the side a little bit so that I could hook it underneath the clip and pry it out. The ABS module on my SVTF made accessing the lower clip infinitely more difficult.

The next snag I hit was with the clutch return spring. When I dropped the pedal assembly down the clutch return spring slid off without me seeing where it was initially connected. It took two people close to 30 min to figure out how that stupid spring connected to the pedal bracket. I found that the spring connects to a tiny hole on the back of the pedal bracket that was totally inaccessible if the pedal assembly is bolted to the firewall. I had to unbolt the pedal assembly, then attach and hold in place the clutch return spring while tightening one of the 4 nuts for the pedal bracket. >This post< has a halfway decent picture showing where the return spring gets connected.

The third, and least trouble-some, issue was locating the bleeder screw. The first post makes it seem like the bleeder screw is behind the throttle body somewhere on or near the firewall. I dont know if mine was different because of ABS or what but I used the pictures from >this post< to locate my bleeder screw. It took a while to bleed the system but it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it to be from some of the comments on here (ie. pumping the pedal hundreds of times). I bled it old-school style and put enough fluid through the system to fill a 20 oz mountain dew bottle until the pedal felt good and responsive.

Overall, it wasn't nearly the hardest thing I've ever replaced on a focus. It was just really inconvienent. If my new one starts leaking in the future Im taking it to a shop and letting them twist-and-contort themselves under the dash like I had to. Regardless, my clutch now feels better than ever.
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's

Last edited by Insaniac; 12-23-2012 at 09:17 PM.