flingwing1969
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91700
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum Forcus SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 2 flingwing1969 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flingwing1969 View Post
They replaced the strut with no problems. The trunk now opens fully and holds open - but not as strongly as it did when I first bought it - I was always very impressed with how strongly the trunk lid opened and held. I'm thinking I might wire together three or four of the spring windings on each side to strengthen them.
That lasted a day or two - probably only a delusion anyway. The lid now opens not quite a well as it did before and sags just a bit more than it did. On a mild nose high slope the lid must still be held open or it sags and stays at mouth level. I had received a call from the shop's customer service survey person and told them that, while I was well treated and got prompt and efficient service, I was still faced with a poorly opening trunk lid. The next morning, I got a call fro The Ford Store asking me to get in touch with them to make it right.

I took my son-in-law in to pick up his F250 SD and showed my problems to the service adviser and a body shop tech. They agreed it wasn't right but it was puzzling, this being probably the least complicated mechanism on the car. There can only be two causes, weak strut or weak springs - strut was replaced, springs are on the way.

If it's the springs, it can only mean that the steel was not properly tempered so there must be others like this out there.
1974 Dodge W300 Power Wagon dump truck
2002 Kubota B-21 tractor-loader-backhoe