Points 14,659, Level 78
Points: 14,659, Level: 78 Points: 14,659, Level: 78 Points: 14,659, Level: 78
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
underdrive pulleys are a waste of time money and effort. a lentech ATX is going to be your best bet for the cost in all reality. you can still daily drive it and it will out perform a manual on the track because you arent loosing boost in between gears. there is also trans-brake which is very nice. the lentech is on my wish list.

you CAN get a P&P head for additional power if you can either do the P&P yourself or have someone who can do it for cheap and stock cams work really well with boost. however it would probably be more cost effective to simply leave the head bone stock and just rebuild it if needed and simply run slightly higher boost to get your power goals.

stock ford head gasket is all you need for a high boost build, no need for anything fancy.

any brand forged piston you can find will do the trick, shop around for combo deals with eagle rods. you NEED forged pistons and rods for anything above 240-260whp. dont go out of your way to find larger piston unless you need to bore your block out to remove damage. there is no power to be gained from that.

get all the ARP fasteners that you can find. while they arent really necessary they are highly recommended. under high boost you will probably start lifting the head from the block with factory stretch bolts. this is just 1 example of why you will want ARP so save yourself some future heartache and go ahead and spend a little extra for them.

i think that 350whp is about the limit of what you can get out of the stock fuel system. to go past about 300 i think you need a boost a pump. and past 350 you will need to go to a return style fuel system. there are many how-to threads out there on how to do this and if you need 1 on 1 help with this then i am sure that tom or anyone else here would be happy to explain anything you need.

if you decide to stick with a manual transmission you are going to spend close to a grand on clutch alone and it is also highly recommended that you buy a limited slip differential. the stock diff is the weak link in all the focus trannies and i have personally had one explode and destroy 1 trans which tom was kind enough to replace for me many moons ago (thanks tom). torsen or quaife are the only two brands that you should even take the time of day to consider. any other brands are very iffy and some are just plain garbage. if you absolutely MUST do this on a budget then OBX put out a LSD for the MTX-75. i have not heard ANYTHING good OR bad about this diff but the build quality seems to be good but let it be known that you WILL be a guinea pig if you decide to do that because i dont think anyone honestly knows what they can take. the quaife diff is the best that there is. it has a lifetime warranty on it. if you somehow manage to bust it then quaife will replace it whether you race it or not. torsen has no warranty but you have to be running very high power numbers on slicks and really launching the car like a fool to bust one of them.

also dont worry about aftermarket axles. believe me you dont want to go there. the first thing that you will break is the little dogbone/torque mount engine mount bracket thingie. (i cant remember the actual name of the thing) on the bottom of the transmission. this is cheap and easy to replace and you wont break it unless there is something else putting it in a bind or if you are being excessively rough on the car. if you reinforce this or get a stronger one you will then start breaking axles if you continue launching the car extremely hard (and/or if you suffer from excessive wheel hop). if you get 300mm billet axles which are getting very hard to find and are very expensive you will likely then bust the transmission case at some point which is extremely expensive for a stronger unit. i seem to recall it was several grand. so basically what im trying to say is either deal with the busting tranny mount bracket which is the easiest to replace and the cheapest or push your luck a hair further and deal with snapped axles if they happen but dont push your luck further than that. tom ran a drag car that made over 700whp on stock axles and never broke one because he didnt launch the car like a maniac.

you should look into a better intake manifold as well. the stock manifold SHOULD be able to take you to 400whp but it will be restricting power. top speed makes a nice unit that requires that you use the SVT lower intake manifold.

i think that covers pretty much everything as far as the build and your direct questions go. get a good turbo kit and tune, there is nothing wrong with second hand kits. dont skimp on gauges, they are always nice to have. a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge is a must. you might want to look into upgrading your suspension and engine mounts while you are at it. stock suspension and bushings will NOT compliment all that power very well. you dont need anything fancy. you can get away with simply replacing all the bushings with polyurethane and good shocks and struts and maybe add some lakewood traction bars to help cut down the wheel hop. and do NOT forget to replace the control arm bushings. when those bad boys go the wheel hop even with a stock car can make the car feel like its going to shake apart.

and you may want to consider brakes as well. if you are going to go fast then you gotta whoa fast. you dont realize how bad the stock brakes suck until you experience something better. the stock brakes fade way too fast for me and they dont come back nearly fast enough. and if you are going to be making as much power as you are saying then you will be spending plenty of time at well over 100mph and the stock brakes just cant get you stopped quickly enough from that speed. just my $.02 on that matter.

and tires! oh lord the tires. you will need to invest in slicks or radials unless you dont mind smoking a set a week. you are not going to hook up with regular street tires with anything over 250whp and even then its a chore so you dont have a chance at 400+

okay im done, book over. let me know if you have any more questions and ill write up another book for ya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!