ImmortalKenny
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48448
What I Drive: 2002 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 ImmortalKenny Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Baker View Post
I have never heard of this stuff but I'm sure there are a few other fluids you could use but most transmissions only work best with OEM fluids
I might switch back to the OEM fluid if nothing else works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SPD_soul View Post
Just happened to me a week ago in WI, after the car sitting overnight with temps in the 20's. I turned the car on no problem, went to reverse, and found the shifter would only easily move forward and back between 3 and 4 which are the at rest gears (no side to side movement). I'd read about shift linkages disconnecting on the trans housing so I removed the intake and airbox housing to look at the trans and linkage (first time for this) and saw that both linkages appeared to be still attached. You can manually move the linkages like this and I was able to shift it in the back and forth way, but not side to side, but both linkages were definitely securely attached.

I took off the shifter boot and looked things over, everything still attached, but something was still binding and it felt like it was from the shifter itself. I sprayed down all the mechanical contact points/linkages (including the shifter base) with Liquid Wrench white lithium grease (doesn't freeze) and it freed up and now shifts better than it has in quite awhile. I don't know if this is really a permanent fix but it definitely solved what I thought was a bigger problem, and one that I'd encountered for the first time.

So I'd suggest taking off the shift knob and shifter boot and having a look at the shifter mechanism itself, something in there was binding for me and greasing it helped.
It's worth a shot, thanks for the suggestion. I recently replaced the shifter arm and that one small bushing (links below) to free up some slop, so I know they're not the culprits.

http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordshifterar...70focus-1.aspx
http://focus.c-f-m.com/fordshifterbu...t170focus.aspx