Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - A better understanding of the 2012 ATX
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #20
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
After seeing inside a 2012 ATX I have a better understanding on how it all works

The 2012/2013 trans is best looked at like it has two gear boxes and 2 clutches , these 2 gearboxes work as one tho
One clutch controls the odd gears (and reverse) and one clutch controls the even gears then there is 2 input shafts (one inside another) one for one clutch and odd gear 1,3,5 and one for the even clutch and gears 2,4,6

It looks to me like the ECU activates the gear that coming next even before the clutch is in gauged which would allow for the smooth shifting , this is a very interesting set up and I cannot wait for tuning software to play with this more

This is new stuff for Ford but isnt new to the performance world or even hyper cars like the Bugatti Veyron which works off the same basic ideas

I think it will be a long time before there is a performance clutch for this car and it will be very very very very costly if there is one , I am going to send an extra one I have to a friend that builds clutches and see what he says

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus