Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Intelligent Oil Life Monitor
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #92
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey everyone!

In case anyone missed my introduction, Iím the Ford Service rep for the boards now. In some cases, itís possible the dealer didnít reset it for the last oil change. Also, changing the oil too soon doesnít hurt anything. I see a lot of great suggestions (thanks, guys), so Iíll add what it states on page 382 of the 2012MY Focus Owner Guide 5th Printing:

ďYour vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil Life Monitorô (IOLM) system which displays a message in the message center at the proper oil change service interval; this interval may be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km). When ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED appears in the message center display, itís time for an oil change; the oil change must be done within two weeks or 500 miles (800 km) of the ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message appearing. The Intelligent Oil Life Monitorô must be reset after each oil change; refer to the Instrument Cluster chapter.

If your message center is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 miles (8,000 km) from your last oil change.

Your vehicle is very sophisticated and built with multiple complex performance systems. Every manufacturer develops these systems using different specifications and performance features. Thatís why itís important to rely upon your dealership to properly diagnose and repair your vehicle.

Ford Motor Company has recommended maintenance intervals for various parts and component systems based upon engineering testing. Ford Motor Company relies upon this testing to determine the most appropriate mileage for replacement of oils and fluids to protect your vehicle at the lowest overall cost to you and recommends against maintenance schedules that deviate from the scheduled maintenance information.Ē

You can grab a free downloadable copy of the Owner Guide here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/Conten...OwnerGuidePage

Cory
Cory, this has been said many times, but if Ford really wants owners to use the iolm, allowing the car to disclose the % oil life remaining would be incredibly helpful. Why should this be such a secret?

It would demonstrate the thing is working, allow owners to plan oil changes (e.g. Trips), and allow ownrs who are naturally cautious to change at a life that makes them comfortable (e.g. 25%).Without this, I suspect most owners will just ignore it and go with 3 months/3,000 miles or some other wasteful schedule. Encourage your engineers to catch-up with GM!