Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Any Cat experts?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
SD_Rider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103846
What I Drive: 2002 Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SD_Rider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Continuous View Post
Alright now this one I know I can answer since I have to learn this as a Ford Technician. A 50 state legal catalytic converter catalyst is designed to pass the most stringent emissions tests of California. Where the 49 state legal one doesn't have that high a level of a catalyst. The difference you will find when you try to get one from Magnaflow is that if your car came from the factory equipped with a California catalytic converter and you order a 49 you will get a MIL which no matter what state you live in you will fail emissions testing. Magnaflow actually has a code for the engines that you can get from your car that tells them what the type of catalytic converter your car comes equipped with. Here is a perfect example of why this doesn't matter what state you're in but how your car came out of the factory, I live in Pennsylvania and I purchased my car in a county that doesn't do emissions testing due to our population density and my car is equipped with a California 50 state catalytic converter.
Thanks for the info! I'm not getting response notifications...will check settings.
I got a quote from a local shop for $450. I figure it's best to go this route (or stocker) than buy one myself and weld it. If I jack a $200 cat, then it will turn into $650 and wasted time. Going to go negotiate and see if I can get a catback for a bit extra.