Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Steering-related noise
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #1
SWEGER
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88926
What I Drive: 2003 Infra-Red ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 1 SWEGER Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Steering-related noise

I've got a noise while steering. Happens mainly when I'm turning left, only when I start turning the wheels (beginning of turn). Also, when I am at full lock to the right and begin to turn back to the left, I hear it. This is most noticeable while parked or at parking lot speeds.

I recently found that the passenger side of my steering rack was extremely loose where it mounts to the subframe. I got under her, took the bolt out and inspected the threads, put locktite on them, and tightened it down. This helped a lot of the noise, but not all of it.

I recently (April, 7k miles ago) had an alignment done and my mechanic replaced me PS ball joint. Also replaced both end links about 15k miles ago because one of them was snapped when I bought it. I've tried to have wifey turn the wheel while I look under, but didn't notice anything moving and cannot pinpoint the sound.

Some of the things I am thinking are:
-tie rods
-strut mounts
-steering rack bushings
-open to ideas

Thanks in advance...

"If guns cause violence, then all of mine are defective" - Ted Nugent