Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Aftermarket headunit install without cutting audiophile plug
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Insaniac
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 34327
What I Drive: 2003 ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 5 Insaniac Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I was able to get my Sony HU installed today without having to cut up my audiophile plug. Here is a brief rundown of what I did just so it's documented in case someone else ever runs into this and, like me, doesnt want to cut apart a factory wiring harness.

I went to Best Buy this morning and picked up a "Scosche FDK11B" wiring harness adapter. I think the Metra 70-5521 will work the same but I cant say for sure. The scosche one looks like this:

As you can see, it has two RCA outputs and two amp turn-on wires (blue ones). These two amp turn on wires are important, you will see why in a minute.

I took a pair of cutting dikes and hacked apart the adapter until I was able to figure out how to remove the wires with the pin intact. Leaving the pin intact is important.

If I had to do this again I dont know that I would need to hack the adapter apart quite so much. Once I figured out how the pins were held in place, it was easy enough to get a jewlers screw driver and pry up on the catch that holds them in place.

I then cut the pin off one of my two amp turn on wires and used heat-shrink tubing as a way to fasten it to the other un-cut amp turn on wire. The reason you want two of these pins smushed together like this is because it will make them fit much more snugly and secure when you plug them into the audiophile plug coming from the car.

Here you can see the two pins now have heat-shrink on them and I've also installed a spade plug to hook into the wire from the back of my aftermarket HU.

I then repeated the process of heat-shrinking two pins together for the RCA plugs. I know I technically only needed to use one RCA plug but the way Im hooking this up it will replicate audio to both plugs. This also works the same as above to make the pin that gets plugged into the audiophile plug twice as thick which in turn makes it fit more snug.

I used clear heat-shrink on the RCA plug pins so that I could see which wires were negative (black) and which were positive (red + white).

Here's what the newly created wires look like plugged into the audiophile plug. I used the post >>HERE<< to determine which wires got plugged into which part of the audiophile plug.

And here is everything plugged in ready to be connected to the back of my new HU (minus the amp turn on wire {blue} which hadn't been connected yet). You will also see I used a bunch of spade plugs to connect the harness adapters. This is because I plan to replace this headunit further down the road and didn't want to have to keep cutting my harness adapter wires shorter and shorter. The RCA plug wires were definitely shorter than I would have liked but they were still long enough to get them plugged in with no problems.

Here is the finished product.

Feel free to ask me any questions! Hopefully this will come in handy someday for someone.
2003 ZX5 SVT #1345
CD Silver; Red Interior; Audiophile; Moonroof; HID's