Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - How-To: Power Mirror Conversion (56K warning!)
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
VinnyB
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97705
What I Drive: '03 Screaming Yellow EAP

FF Reputation: 18 VinnyB Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Part three: Questions/Troubleshooting

Q. How long did this take?
A. It took me about 2 hours (4, if you count the rain delays)

Q. Help! My mirror doesn't go <insert direction here>
A. Check your wiring - each wire is specific to two things: mirror side (driver/passenger) & direction (up/down, left/right)

If your driver side mirror doesn't go up/down, check the blue/red wire/connection.
If your driver side mirror doesn't go left/right, check the yellow/blue wire/connection

If your passenger side mirror doesn't go up/down, there are two possible areas to check: the blue/yellow wire, and the

white/red, white/green/solid white wire junction

If your passenger side mirror doesn't go left/right, there are two possible areas to check: the yellow/violet wire, and the

white/red, white/green/solid white wire junction

(I'm not entirely sure what purpose the solid white wire has. I DO know that it definitely needs to be tapped into

the white/red, white/green wire in order for both sides to function)

Q. Help! None of my mirrors work!

A. Again, check your wiring. Specifically, check the orange/blue & orange/yellow (your power wires) and make sure there's a

good connection. If that fails, check fuse #35 in your fuse panel (it's the fuse for the interior lights - if you look at the schematic, you'll see that that wire branches off into the interior lighting) If the fuse checks out fine, then go through your connections. It's possible that theres a bad connection, bad wire, bad switch, or heck, even a bad mirror.

Q. Hey... wait. I have two/four extra wires that aren't connected! What gives?

A. Depending on the color (Green/black, Green/orange, and 2 black) It seems that you bought/salvaged power mirrors that have the built in heater/de-fogger. The mirrors I salvaged from the junkyard didn't have the built in heaters/de-foggers.