Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - How-To: Power Mirror Conversion (56K warning!)
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
VinnyB
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97705
What I Drive: '03 Screaming Yellow EAP

FF Reputation: 18 VinnyB Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
How-To: Power Mirror Conversion (56K warning!)

I've been looking for a guide on how to do a power mirror conversion. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find one...at least, one for the Focus. So, I figured that when I was ready to take the plunge, I'd document the steps I took in order to do this conversion.

With that said, here is a list of everything I used (some items are optional - those will be marked with an **)

Part one: Materials, hardware, and tools - oh my!

Silcone sealant ** ( You can use this to seal the end of the crimp connectors from water, where the wire goes in the connector. Also, this will add some strain relief on the wires.)

Heat shrink tubing ** (This can be used in place of the silicone sealant, to help prevent moisture from working it's way down into the crimp connectors)

Wiring diagram (see image below - Note: This wiring diagram is for a 2002 Ford Focus )

Hardware

22-18 gauge crimp connectors: I bought these ones: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=600833_0_0_

They come 10 to a pack (5 male, 5 female). You'll probably need 2 packs. One for connecting the wires, the other for extending the mirror wires. (A third pack might be wise, to have extras just in case)

18 gauge wire: You can buy a 3 pack of 15 foot rolls from Rat...erm.. Radio Shack for about 7.99 (plus tax) The Radio Shack part number is 278-1226

"Vampire" taps: (for those that are unaware, a vampire tap allows you to splice into a line without making a permanent cut.) The ones I used for this project are these: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...questid=711072

Drivers side & passenger side mirror, mirror switch, and corner/face plates (no clue what it's really called) (visit your local scrapyard, or alternatively, you can get them for about 50-60 bucks brand new from a store like AutoZone/Advanced Auto Parts - the ones listed below are your ordinary, garden variety power mirror. Ie: They are NOT heated)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...084_2362_14147

Drivers side & passenger side pig tail, including the block connector to the switch (This is the drivers side. The passenger side will have just the red/black piece thats towards the top of the picture) (see pic below)

Tools

Wire strippers/crimpers

10mm & 7mm sockets

Ratchet w/ extension

screwdriver/ratchet (no clue what its called - it has a ridged handle like a screw driver, but the tip has a squared end for putting a socket on it)

T20 Torx screwdriver (For some reason, the passenger side mirror I pulled had this screw in the lower left corner. The other one didn't.