Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - My '12 SE Picture/Project Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #512
Twenty
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17

Fan#: 90312
What I Drive: 2012 YB SE sedan w/ ST exterior

Points 20,517, Level 90
Points: 20,517, Level: 90 Points: 20,517, Level: 90 Points: 20,517, Level: 90
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 9 Twenty Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPHIL View Post
The black roof only looks good when it blends with the edge of the front and rear screens(like the Audi). The Focus however,has the roof mouldings further in from the edge of the screen by about an inch. You may have to blacken that too.
Good point. Actually, I had also done a quick render (which I don't have posted) of a gloss black roof and gloss black mouldings. It certainly couldn't hurt the look, and they'd be relatively easy to scuff and paint.

Suspension check pt. II:

Date: December 14th 2012
Mileage: ~10750 kilometers

Today was part two in starting to work through the Focus' tiny suspension noise. I parked it out in the service lot (next to the spiffy '13 Fusion, the first one we've had in our hands) and waited for our shop foreman to be free to go for a ride.

I tried to include a couple of semi-related pictures here just to break up a wall of text.

We drove around for a little while, looking for bumps and uneven road to try and get the tiny rattle to make itself known. As luck would have it, long story short it was pretty much silent. I heard a faint trace of it once or twice but I know the exact noise to listen for and it was too faint to really be detectable. Weather perhaps, as well as tightening the bolts last week are settling it down?

Our next examinations will be the front sway bar as per his idea, and the motor mounts too as I recall a TSB for them a while back, and a friend with a '12 Focus in the UK had a problem with one of his which was resulting in a noise.

No work on the front was done today but I did have a chance to address the rear sway bar; it had shifted off-center and also needed a bit more grease in spots, as it was squeaking over bumps. I used up the remaining grease I had on hand and it certainly helped. There's still the occasional squeak so more grease will be applied next time I get a chance. To be fair, our climate is not kind to the undersides of cars.

One final note relating to the noise though; I accidentally almost stalled the Focus this morning and wouldn't you know, the same rattle sound was there. The motion of the car briefly sputtering before I put the clutch in made it come back, and that was the most prominent it's been in a while.

We'll check again, if just for a double check of the rest of the bolts up front if nothing else. Even if we can't cure the noise completely it's honestly so small and infrequent (we'll see if that changes as the weather warms up) I can live with it as just a natural tendency of the car. It never really bothered me enough before to check it, but with the mystery surrounding the clunks and other issues I'm now curious to investigate further.

I'm fortunate that I don't have the severe clunking that many have reported. Knock on wood.
SR #74/SMk3C #17/YBOC #03
Bill M.