Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #55
Just Tom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
Consumer Reports is a god damn joke anyway.

Honestly, does anyone look to that trash for advice when purchasing a car? Really?

Not trying to defend my purchase, but it's pretty widespread knowledge that CR is garbage. Besides, who cares? Enjoy your purchase, in my opinion, its all a part of the car buying experience. You're going to lose money no matter what.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
MJ-

You're right about the reality of losing money (depreciation) the moment you drive the car off the lot. That's true regardless of what make/model you buy, however the point I think that some are making is that the CR reviews only exacerbate the issue.

There is something else that I'd like to mention about C.R. though. As opposed to car magazines, what makes CR unique is that #1 they do not accept advertising #2 they are supported 100% by subscribers who pay for their analysis/reviews #3 CR actually PURCHASES all of the cars that they review, meaning CR owns the cars that they review. When they are done with their long term analysis, CR sells their cars. In comparison, car mags certainly have their share of subscribers, but the majority of their revenue stems from advertising dollars paid for by auto manufacturers. The manaufactures also "lend" the magazines automobiles to evaluate/review. So for those reasons alone, CR is seen as objective and unbiased in their reviews. If CR gives a bad review, what consequence is it to them? They lose nothing. On the other hand if a car mag pisses off the executives of some car company, who's to say that they wouldn't pull their advertising and move to a different publication? Having said all that I read Road & Track, Car & Driver, Automobile AND Consumer Reports.

In the case of the Focus I think all the publications are in agreement. The DCT and MFT are two problem areas which need improvement. I for one do not think MFT or DCT is the major distaster that some are making it out to be. Both need to be tweaked and refined somewhat, but overall I think both are worthy of keeping and can be perfected over time.