Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #46
halfmoonclip
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87235
What I Drive: '12 Ingot Silver SEL

FF Reputation: 1 halfmoonclip Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Couple quick reactions to previous posters...
-Resale, Honda, Ford...I have had great luck with Honda products, actually thought seriously about a Civic, but it handled like a baby Buick, wallowy and sloppy. (Apparently Honda has belatedly recognized the problem and is recalibrating suspensions for this year.) I liked how the Ford drove, and supporting a domestic manufacturer for the first time in a long time seemed like the right thing to do, especially with a stepdad who had a career in Detroit and the lousy domestic economy. Too, the Focus got great reviews for its ride/handling balance, something that is absolutely true.
-Early reviews of the DCT...did indicate some roughness; however, the severity of the problem was not made clear; perhaps the tester's cars did not misbehave in this regard. The shuddering thing was not present in my car when it was new; first time it was noticed was in March. The automated manual in VW products has a great reputation, and the idea of the performance and efficiency of a manual in a vehicle my women could drive sounded (conceptually) like a great idea. It is a great idea.
There appear to be two distinct problems with the tranny; some mechanical (clutches)and some electronic. Ford seems to be hoping that software updates will solve most of the problems.
-Sync issues...the Bluetooth aspect has always worked well for me, but the clockspring problems were responsible for the issues with the steering column controls. Since the clockspring was replaced, the system has gone back to what it was doing when the car was turned off, and thus far it hasn't done the 'directory full' thing that requires pulling a fuse to reboot the system.
223, you may have the clockspring problem; do your steering wheel controls sometimes do strange things?
Moon