Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #45
mp223
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104161
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 0 mp223 Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Do you have both?
When I used MFT on a dealership vehicle back when I was in the buying process, it was junk. Slow, buggy and overly complicated. I'm not buying a vehicle on the 'promise' its software will be upgraded, I believe what I see. Ford should have already had the bugs worked out the day the first vehicle rolled off the line, I am not a beta tester. I understand if there is a one-off problem with a new vehicle, only occurring in rare circumstances, that doesn't bother me. But anybody who is reasonably competent who spent 15 minutes with MFT could identify a myriad of issues. How that got the green-light to go in to production is amazing and doesn't speak well about Ford's software development processes.

As for Sync, my complaints with it are similar to the base radio. Deep, complicated menus that are unintuitive. Poor voice recognition. If I'm listening to the radio, why do I first need to say 'phone' then 'call xyz', why can't I just say 'call xyz'? Why does the 'AUX' button default to line in every time? When I leave my vehicle and return to it, why does it not remember I was listening to Bluetooth last time and default to that? Why are menu options slow to load? Why is the screen space used so poorly? (I suspect intentionally gimped so as not to compete with MFT) An example of poor screen use real estate, displaying "SO:" and "AR:" instead of "Song:" and "Artist:" There is plenty of space on the tiny screen to do that, so why some poor abbreviation? Get rid of that damn Sync logo.

The DCT never was an issue on any of the vehicles I drove and so far I haven't heard a peep from mine.

While I do have other small issues with the vehicle, none are as glaring as the infotainment problems. Overall I like my Focus a lot and would recommend it to most people. Any car maker can make a half decent brand new car. What really shows quality and value is how the car holds up after its out of warranty, at 150k or 200k miles. How I feel 8-10 years down the line about my Focus will determine if Ford gets my money again.