Old 12-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
chrisandlaurie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85483
What I Drive: 2002 Grey SE

FF Reputation: 1 chrisandlaurie Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Brake light switch on an automatic

Hoping someone with an 02 Focus automatic transmission can tell me where the brake light switch is located. I have checked the top of the brake pedal housing where I have seen pictures of the switch on this site for standard transmissions with the neutral safety switch beside it in every photo I have seen otherwise. I can't seem to find it on my automatic and I am starting to wonder if there is even a brake light switch on an automatic. I see the holes where you would expect to see the brake light switch attach the top of the brake arm/peddle but I am not seeing the switch anywhere in the area under the dash and no stray wires or loose switches if it popped out the way I have read on this site and others can occur.
My problem is that all three brake light's are coming on when the car is started and placed into gear. I have checked the wires in the umbilical cord at the hatch and made the repairs but my lights still remain on. I have swapped out my bulbs on the tail lights as well. I all the bulbs in the third lamps are on and working. I am at a loss as to how to fix this problem.
Can anyone confirm that their 02 focus wagon automatic brake light switch location before I go completely nuts. I have searched for hours on the net and called a friend at the dealership to no avail. I will head to a wrecker to search out another automatic to see if the brake switch is where it should be next if anyone here can't advise.
Thanks