Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ...
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #32
Rogerschro
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90661
What I Drive: '12 FFE Frosted Glass

Points 876, Level 15
Points: 876, Level: 15 Points: 876, Level: 15 Points: 876, Level: 15
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 Rogerschro Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If I were to make a judgement call on the Focus, based on my experience, I'd say it is a fantastic car. I have Two of them and only one has given any trouble, the DCT, that was corrected with the update. Neither has MFT so I can't comment on that. But I can say there are oddities that they exhibit with the dual clutch system. Nothing that really distracts from the pleasure of ownership though. So my take would be very good value and reliability. Others on here will tell a different story from great to mostly great to not so great to terrible. Each is a valid opinion FROM THEIR PERSPECTIVE. CR must take each of these into consideration when evaluating the car and from their own impressions for the short time they test them. I can see how, when given a short test drive and combining that with what has been written about it that they would be oversensitive to the behavior of this DCT. A normal trany would be easy to ignore and not figure into the overall performance of the car or its rating. But with the DCT it does. The MFT also will get a mention both due to problems and complications with how it functions from the testers who don't know all the quirks of the system. So I think a certain bias is at work here as much as real issues with the two systems. Hypersensitivities to info on the two systems. Focus gets dinged for two items that are technically options but are in most of the Focuses sold. (at least the DCT is). Remove these options and evaluate the car as base model and I think it would do extremely well. Having so much new technology offered in a moderately priced car has caused it to suffer a bit in its evaluation. As it matures, it will be seen as a benchmark for future cars in its class.