Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Taking our lumps from Consumer Reports ...
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #12
cbdallas
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100296
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Points 1,919, Level 26
Points: 1,919, Level: 26 Points: 1,919, Level: 26 Points: 1,919, Level: 26
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I do rely on the car mags for information, but so far, this forum has provided me with so much more specific information about the potential pitfalls of this car. It's a double-edged sword in some ways, because while my DCT is actually behaving well, I now find myself to be apprehensive about the future....specifically, that God-awful grinding noise that some people are experiencing when they get upward of 10,000 miles on it. That has nothing to do with driving technique or perception...it's plainly a defect. As far as the 'jerking' and 'lunging', I think some of that may be up for interpretation. I wouldn't always call the DCT 'smooth' or 'intuitive', and I think that people are expecting their automatic transmission to be just that...which is where the disappointment lies.

Speaking for myself, I haven't been able to pinpoint a single advantage to the DCT. It doesn't shift any faster or smoother than my 2011 Optima. I expected faster, but not smoother. I got neither.

I realize it was an attempt to achieve higher MPG, but I'm not even sure it's delivering on that front. I guess only Ford can say whether the endeavor has been worth it. If you ask CR, they'd clearly say "no".