View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Had there been a 6MT available with this 2.0 L GDI engine with the same or similar gear ratios to the 6DCT I might have considered it, but the 2012+ Focus is approximately 589 lbs heavier than my old car's manufacturers suggested curb weight (that was 18 years ago before rust took a hold and knocked it down a bit more) so the fact that it can manage to be as efficient if not more so despite the extra power and weight just go to show how well the powertrain can and does work together.

The 5MT just doesn't have the legs to bring down the engine speed at freeway speeds.

I do still find myself shifting the DCT manually on occasion, especially when I want to lock it into 6th gear on the freeway unless I really need to accelerate as this would also prevent the car from jumping back and forth between gears on any slight incline or decline in terrain.

I drove my previous car for over 44,000 miles in about 3 years, but this was also while I was still in university and rotating every 12 weeks into the work environment driving 100+ miles a day five days a week including heavy stop and go traffic. The part that bothered me the most after awhile was the drone of the exhaust at 3000 rpm that and the headaches from this.