suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post
Have you considered manual? It is not hard to learn and it should take you about 2 to 3 days of driving to get the hang of it. Manual has no issues and provides in my opinion a better drive.
Again the manual might have had fewer issues since it is old and proven. However it has not had zero issues with faulty gears/ syncros/ shafts/ etc that have plagued a few units in the 2012+ Focus.

This is as well as the fact that the gearing advantage of the 6DCT can't be ignored. If there was a six speed manual gearbox with the same or similar ratios available on the non ST then this would be ok, but the 5 speed is fundamentally the same and has roughly the same gear ratios as the ones used in 1994 by my old car (it wasn't the same transaxle, but the gear ratios /top gear specifically were basically identical at 0.82:1).

The DCT spins about 374 rpm slower at 70 mph than the manual simply based on the gearing when both cars are equipped with the 16" wheels. That alone can attribute to the efficiency gains of the additonal gear, as well as the fact that unlike a torque converter automatic or wet clutch DCT it does not have the parasitic drag of pumping all that additional fluid.