Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Oil Leak: Dealer said Ford stated This is NORMAL
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #87
IH84DZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101801
What I Drive: 03 CD silver SVT 5 door

FF Reputation: 5 IH84DZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
If anything the seals are what should be inspected the most and held to higher specs because look at the issue with the seals failing in the DCT. A "cheap" & "small" part such as the seal is causing thousands of dollars in damaged parts and labor.
And seal issues caused the same with the Edge/MKX's for years. I used to work for Ford and have a vested interest in seeing them do well but stuff like this happens. It happens to every manufacturer. If you build a hundred thousand pre-production models and test them from pole to pole in all climates around the world without issues - you eventually approve production. And every single time you will find things that ONLY happen when things are produced at higher volume and operated in climates that are as unique as the driver.

Perhaps it's not even a seal quality issue but rather an issue with how the seal is installed. I've seen seals that work perfect if installed by a machine in a jig and I've seen others that leak only because they were installed by a machine in a jig.

It's easy to play armchair quarterback and say "this should not happen". Few folks actually have the patience and willpower required to understand that no matter how rich and powerful a company (with HUGE competition) becomes, they have no interest whatsoever in making cheap junk that people don't want. It will be figured out. It will be fixed. It will require time.

Situations like THIS are why you have a warranty. Rogue exploding moonroofs, customer expectations of NVH and normal operating characteristics however are not.