Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94331
What I Drive: '02 Gold SE

FF Reputation: 1 mr1mrwun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Thanks for that.

Pardon my ignorance, like I said I'm still learning about LEDs and small circuits,
If you really want to learn more, I recommend "IC timer cookbook (W.Jung)" and/or "110 IC timer projects" (J.Gilder)(I found it at Radio Shack). You will find these very helpful I am sure.

but is that timer a standalone or would I just need integrate it into the car's flasher circuit past the GEM? Or is it something I can/should put on the bread board for each separate array?
It is 'standalone'. You would place the circuit after the GEM. 1 "brd" (= circuit board) would drive each side of the car (left vs. right). Some thought required to trigger. I think I would build as simple astable, and tie the GEM output to the 555 reset pin. This would give a 'fast blink' whenever the turn signal was high (on). So, simulate in mind >> blink/blink/blink/pause - blink/blink/blink/pause. (the pause comes when the turn signal goes low (off). You can also set up the 555 to 'ring'. There really flexible.

Both you and the description says it's a kit. So some searching on DIY electronics forums are in order. Still have a lot of research and learning to do!

Btw, whats a brd?

A kit comes with everything except solder and tools. I recommend a 'soldering station' as there heat is regulated. There are also 'learn how to solder' kits. Worth it if you never have. Also, making your own circuit brd (= board) is not hard, but it can be somewhat expensive to get started.

One thing I don't know about is the intended load. I.E. >> What LED replacement bulb were you intending to use (assumption there). The problem most have is that you cannot get any specs. Hence, it is difficult to design the driver circuit intelligently. This also does not address the problem with the stock reflector (which is designed for incandescent). 1 thought is to not use the LED 'bulbs' as such, but use a single 20MM LED for each filament leg. Just a thought. Check out the better ones specs as they easily meet the stock bulb brightness.
Gonna look into those books

I follow you on the placement.
I get the kits....gonna google around for more/different options/possibilities.
I have basic to average skills so thats not a problem.

What I meant about the bread board,http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-5-PCS-Br...item27cde181b0 at least thats what I've seen it called, is that this is what I was planning on constructing my different arrays from. Cut to fit and mount inside the light's housing. Retrofitting if the term is applicable. Not intending to use replacement bulbs ie http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/l...541-37-206569/. Plan on a full out custom project for all my lights. Seen it done on here and on FJ, mainly headlight projector retrofits with HALO/'Angel Eyes' and integrated turn signals. Just so happens that I'm planning this out and researching, and haven't come across a relative answer to the original question I had. Maybe I worded it wrong, maybe it was misunderstood. Idk. The info you've provided is helping me arrive at the result that I want. I know that if I was to do just a bulb swap.....I'd have to change the GEM/flasher relay to one that supports/recognizes the LED bulbs resistance, to negate the hyperflash function. I LIKE the hyperflash. IF the hyperflash is constant would it damage the GEM?

I know now that my original question is obsolete, thanks to our discussion.

As far as my intended load.......thinking of using SMD LED's....from some of what I've read into so far they're supposed to be up there in brightness.

The reflectors I plan on looking into after I hit the junkyard and figure out how to open the different housings up....