Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Ford Buy Back!
Thread: Ford Buy Back!
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #99
Woggy64
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104328
What I Drive: '12 Ti 5dr with sport pkg & sunroof

FF Reputation: 2 Woggy64 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
For me the most useful way to think about car finance wise is cost per year. With a new car, under warranty, you tend to be able to predict that. So if you are paying 4k/year in payments, have 1k in insurance and spend 1k on gas, you're gonna be around 6k per year.

Add in some depreciation and you have it. Most estimates are that a car costs between 5-10k per year. A higher end car costs more and a lower end one costs less. A car like the honda Fit can be sold a few years after you buy it with a really remarkable lack of depreciation. So my GF has one of those and it is probably the most economical car you can get by a pretty hefty margin.

The focus is in the middle somewhere. It isn't that expensive, but resale will be low. Maintenance will likely be low. It will probably average like 6.5-8k per year. A 3 series or 5 series will be a lot more.

By far the most economical way to go is to buy a 7-8 year old honda or toyota and drive it into the ground. UP front cost is low, depreciation can't be much because the car is already cheap and hopefully operating costs are low. Just end up spending a lot of time with the car being fixed.
That works if you are only looking at the money. I refuse to by any Honda I have to like the car or truck to own it. I like my Focus. I liked my Mustang, etc. I drove a Fit, and really did not care for it. I do understand that it would be more practical to own if money was the sole reason.