Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Intermittent Problem
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
my_beautious_ZX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32386
What I Drive: 2002 charcoal XZ3

Points 1,342, Level 20
Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20 Points: 1,342, Level: 20
Level Up 43% Completed
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 my_beautious_ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryCMoore View Post
Ok after a bit of poking around on the stalling issue the IAC Valve seems like a good place to start. Everyone who's had it replaced has it throwing codes left and right though.
actually, many (most?) of the posters on this forum report that a faulty IAC did not throw a code/CEL. Evidently, a code is thrown only by an outright failure, not by a device that is merely in the throes of failure.

Quote:
Is there a PCV Valve on the Focus? Exactly how is the Crankcase ventilated?
crankcase ventilation is probably the oldest emission strategy, so my assumption is that it's on every car, alongside egr, cat, etc. (except the performance enthusiasts who don't give a damn about smog ).

Quote:
By the way, when I took the car in previously (code for temp sensor) the tech who checked my car said my breather hose has a crack. I asked if that could cause stalling and he thought for a minute, said "I don't see how it could" and told me I'd be better off to go to the scrapyard and find a used one and put it in myself. Truth is, I don't know what a breather hose is, but I'm going to assume it has something to do with crankcase ventilation, right? Is it possibly another name for a PCV Hose? Thanks again.
did he mean the breather hose that runs across the top of your engine (from the valve cover to the air filter box) or the PCV tube? Many folks on this forum report that their stalling was fixed by replacing the latter; your tech may have suggested a junkyard because the dealer tube is expensive.