Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86833
What I Drive: 2012, Silver, SE

FF Reputation: 1 Flapster Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_cassandra View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/ford-tumbles-a...--finance.html

Do your own diligence on the hundreds of posts here about this problem but I would ask you to consider a few questions.

1. Ford says the hesitation/stumbling problem is normal, why then does Consumer reports include it as a bad thing in its reviews?
2. Many other brands have this transmission, do they all have a similar problem? (my VW GTI did not)
3. when cold weather hit new england, 2/3 of my problem went away. If it is normal, why did it go away ?

If you like everything else about the car, like I do, you need to be tactfully persistent about this issue. Don't just take the party line from the dealer and go home. be willing to contact the Ford home office customer service.

And do your homework, once you have read the hundreds of other posts and if you have ever owned another brand like the VW GTI-same type transmission, then you are better equipped to continue seeking a resolution.

-I have had issues with mine since soon after purchase (May 2011).
-I made several phone calls and approx 4 trips to three different dealerships about it. One told me it was normal and that's just the way it is. One told me that they have been told to not touch it, that there was a bulletin from Ford stating that the engineers where working on the problem. The third did an update on it in October and it seemed to help for about 2 weeks. After about two weeks, the shake came back worse than before.
-I took it back to the third dealer and told them to check it again. At that point I spoke directly to a mechanic who stated that I have a bad clutch and that the focus's and fiesta's are eating them up. He stated that he replaced one recently and it solved the problem. So at 30,000 miles I had a clutch replaced.
-After driving for approx a month and a half, I have noticed a dramatic improvement in the shaking. It still does it once in a while but it is slight enough that I can live with it. The only thing I am noticing lately is a drop in gas mileage after the update. Don't know if it is related or not....
-I would also agree that the cold weather seems to play a factor also, as it seems to run much much smoother when its cold that when its warm out...