View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 08:27 AM   #44
swansong
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83576
What I Drive: 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero SportCombi XWD

FF Reputation: 9 swansong Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
I'll share my tune story. A few days after I got my SVT, I contacted Tom for a tune. He got back to me within days and I had the base tune installed within a week. I was pretty satisfied with the base tune, so I didn't pursue datalogging. After a few weeks however, I noticed a stumbling and lurching at cruising speeds. Didn't think it was tune related, but low and behold the stock tune seemed to make it run better. I got busy, and somewhat forgot about the tune.

After a while I got the tune itch again, and tried to reinstall Tom's base tune. It failed miserably, and almost left me with an untuned and undriveable car. I had to do some tricky workaround just to get the stock tune back on. I knew it was an SCT problem and not a Tom problem, so I sat on it for a while again.

Got ambitious again a few weeks later, and contacted SCT about the problem. An hour later I had a re-formatted tuner, and the tuning process worked flawlessly. (I expected more of a hassle from SCT at this step.) Reinstalled Tom's tune.

More time passes, car starts to stumble and buck worse than before, and stalls when stopping. I contacted Tom about datalogging it before I started throwing parts at it, and we had a nice back and forth datalog and fix session, which eventually fixed the stalling. I didn't, and still don't, think the problem was entirely tune related, but nonetheless the car runs 100% better now.

To summarize this long-winded story: Tom was excellent to work with, very prompt and thorough, and SCT was surprisingly helpful as well.

However, this entire process required a certain amount of patience, effort, automotive and computer knowledge, and motivation on my end that should be expected out of anyone seeking a tune. Every car is different, both from the factory line and over the years and miles. They all require a slightly different tune to run optimally, and it's up to the owner to work with the tuner to make this happen. And Tom is a fantastic tuner to work with.
Gone: 2002 SVT, #1654

Hers: 2010 Focus SES: 70k, Ebony, Auto, Moon and Tune